Skip to main content

DebraSeS: Loss of a loved one


Dear Mrs. Gertrude Plooster Adams;

You were the Best Auntie ever...

Some of the things I am remembering about you on your last day on Earth: 
  • summer visits with you (and my Uncle & Cousins): you got me, because you needed some girl time after living with Uncle Babe & 3 sons! I remember you telling me, "... you sure like to read! always got your nose in a book..."
  • homemade ice cream: one of your favorites was peach, you really loved peach walnut! 
  • sewing: Auntie, you were not much of a seamstress...I recall witnessing your finger running right under the needle in the machine! You & my my mom were always cutting up Uncle Babe's & my dad, Leo's old clothes to make more for the 4 boys! 
  • food: Oh my gosh, we had so many picnics & family dinners (about 15 of us) together - holidays especially but they were not required! All of us women were cooking and talking while snacking, and the dads were watching sports on TV or sitting on the patio like the KINGS they were: not always talking, just being together like the best companions they were for each other; and loving the life they created for us all. 
    We would eat, talk & tease & laugh, then play cards and then eat some more! I loved playing with your grandkids so I could get out of washing dishes! 
  • good work ethic: you worked at the Welch's grape canning factory and my mom worked at the Dairy Queen as the 5 of us were growing up. The 2 brothers/dads were carpenters building dams or working at Hanford Nuclear Power Plant. If you all weren't working, you were fixing, gardening, hunting & fishing something. I always thought the 4 of you could build, make, sew, skin, recycle metals for cash, cook, clean, can, create anything & everything to be as-good-as-newsuch hard working souls!!
  • family stories: Doug (Love You!) fished me out of the lake or river one time when I was about 3 - I guess I just walked in, like I knew what I was doing & pretty soon, I was underwater!
  • Larry stayed with us for his high school Senior year when your family moved to Chamberlain from Ft Pierre. I thought he was soooo cool and so did my friends! He (Love you Larry) literally carried us from the door to his car, so we wouldn't track dirt & mud- it was the old pink ford hot rod (1957??) with dingo balls from the ceiling above the windshield!! 
  • the youngest of us 5, I got to boss around some since I was older...I remember telling him that Santa was NOT real when he was  only 5 - sorry, Auntie. (I love you Danny!)
  • I am crying by now, no surprise to anyone who knows me - you ALL teased me unmercifully for crying while we watched Lassie, remember? especially my brother (Love ya, Richard)! 

Well, my dear Aunt, it has been just about one year since your sister/friend Irene (my mom) has passed. She will welcome you. You girls are in good company - I can see the two of you, all dolled up, getting ready for the Saturday Night Geddes Dance (as I heard while growing up).  I know those wild Adams' boys, Clarence & Leo, will take you, their sweethearts, for a twirl, for some 2-steppin' and many rousing whirling polkas until you can't breathe any longer, while drinking some good cheer!

Oh, so many good times, so many to fill my heart with a ba-zillion lovely, loving, never-ending memories. I will miss you, Auntie! and never, ever forget you..... 

Always Your Loving Niece, Debbie


LikeShow more reactions
Comment1
Comments
Debra K Adams MA
Write a comment...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch Day!

  Click here to purchase Available for the first time.... "The Missing Piece in Business" I am proud to part of this wonderful international anthology! compiled by Kate Gardner and published by CM Publisher, we are pleased to offer this work of success strategies, tried & true, in each chapter by the experienced and entrepreneur Author who contributed to the book. My chapter is named "Synchronicity in Business: Make the World Go ‘Round." In my experience, synchronicity is a very important tool that has assisted me in reaching many goals and objectives.   I hope you will enjoy reading it! BUY the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Missing-Piece-Business-Kate-Gardner/dp/0992817307/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1394701486&sr=8-5&keywords=The+Missing+Piece+in+Business Always Yours, Debra K. Adams, M.A. #1 International Best Selling Author of "The Missing Piece: A Transformational Journey"  website website

Debra SeS: Deal with it!!

This is me, so deal with it! no longer will I pretend to like the clothes you like, especially when I think they are ugly... no longer will I lie to protect you, you deserve to know the truth... no longer will I be "NICE" so your feelings don't get hurt, they are your feelings and you are in charge of them... no longer will I allow you to speak for me, I have my own voice... no longer will I watch sporting events non-stop every weekend, when I prefer to read a book... no longer will I wear my hair long,because I love my short hair! no longer will I live in fear of your opinion, my opinion matters more to me... Look out now, I have put on my BIG GIRL Panties, so you will have to deal with it!! Always Yours, Debra K. Adams, MA see my profile here: http://about.me/debrakadamsma read my eNewsletter: Self Empowerment Strategies

What are you missing?

What is missing in your life? Is it love? Is it adventure? Is it serenity? Maybe you want to write a book? Go on vacation? If you go through your days, placing one foot in front of the other, feeling bored, stuck, sad, numb, or any number of emotions, it is time. It is your time. First you will want to identify what is missing. How do you do that?  "Think it over, think it under!" says Winnie the Pooh. I always begin by making a list of the top 100 things I want to do. Remember when everyone was writing their "bucket list"? This list was written by a man who had received the news that he would die within a year from cancer. He wasn't ready for that ultimate ending yet. By accomplishing all the items on his Bucket List, he then achieved a sense of peace and acceptance about his life's demise. Even my grown kids were talking about doing things from their bucket list! It was a trend, for sure. We can always glean little bits of wisdo